North Carolina Mountain Real Estate
Highlands NC Real Estate
Neighborhoods and Condo Buildings
Welcome to Highlands, NC
Whether you’re looking for a vacation home to get away from the hustle of city life, want a peaceful paradise to spend retirement, or you simply want to discover the joys of a small mountain town, consider investing in Highlands, NC real estate. Located in Macon County, in the southwest corner of the state, Highlands rests on a plateau at 4,118 feet above sea level and well above many of the neighboring towns within the Nantahala National Forest. The high elevation not only provides spectacular views of the forest and surrounding lakes, it also contributes to a lovely climate. In the summer, the average high in July is only 78°F - a near 15 degree departure from the average high in nearby Atlanta or Greenville, SC, while regular rainfall maintains the lush, green vegetation - ideal for gardeners!
Real Estate in Highlands, NC
If you are considering homes for sale in Highlands, there are a wide variety to choose from. Because there are part-time residents, those with vacation homes, and year-round residents, there are homes for every need and desire. There are multiple condo communities that feature cozy floor plans and low-maintenance living as well as luxury subdivisions surrounding the local country clubs that offer resort-like amenities including golf and croquet. For a more rustic, quiet setting that allows you to get back to nature, consider a single family home with more land farther out from the center of town.
A Convenient Location for Vacation and Full-Time Living
While Highlands may seem remote, nestled away within the Nantahala National Forest, it’s actually easy to access all year long. US Highway 64 runs east-northwest through town while State Route 28 connects to the south. Those seeking a weekend getaway or close access to city life will appreciate that it’s near the following locations:
- Greenville, SC - 70 miles
- Asheville, NC 75 miles
- Athens - 98 Miles
- Downtown Atlanta - 130 Miles
Within town, you’ll have everything you need close at hand, including local grocery stores and markets, several banks, a library, and a post office.
Highlands Real Estate Opens the Door to Recreation
The draw of purchasing Highlands, NC real estate is that you can set the pace of life! There are near endless recreation options whether you prefer a slower, more laid-back approach, or you want to dive into an active lifestyle!
Outdoor Recreation in and near Highlands
Experience the true beauty of the mountains, rivers, and forest, breathe in the crisp, clean air, and revitalize your mind and body with outdoor experiences!
- Cullasaja Club - a beautiful private country club that offers golf, wellness programs, spa facilities, and a pristine pool.
- Highlands Falls Country Club - a country club that appeals to the whole family, featuring a sprawling golf course, spacious pool, croquet, bridge, and tennis, as well as spa and fitness centers and a junior camp for kids.
- Horseback riding and lessons Whitewater Equestrian Center
- Experience the beauty of Highlands with a hike along Whitewater Falls Trail, Sunset Rock, or Slick Rock Trails
- Stroll through the Highlands Botanical Garden with over 500 species of wildflowers, ferns, trees, and more surrounded by a gorgeous creek.
- Kayak or go rafting along the Cullasaja River
- Fly fishing in the Chattooga River
Enjoy elegant dining, down-home favorites, and so much more within the downtown area of Highlands!
- Wild Thyme Gourmet
- Meritage Bistro
- Highlands Smokehouse BBQ
- Asia House
- The Log Cabin
- Blue Bike Cafe
Shopping & Hobbies
Downtown Highlands features a vibrant downtown area that features boutiques, antique shops, and so much more, including:
- Bear Mountain Outfitters - shoes and clothes for women and men
- Julian’s - features unique gift items
- Highlands Kids - children’s clothing
- Cabin Couture - Rustic gifts and home decor
- Highlands Playhouse - a long-running theater that offers year-round film events and hosts Broadway productions in the summer.
- Highlands Performing Arts Center - Musicians, plays, operatic performances, shows, and more are held year-round.
Contact Us to Find Highlands, NC Real Estate for Sale
Whether you’re seeking a weekend getaway, summer home, or full-time residence, let the team at NCMountainLife.com help you find your dream home! Contact one of our local real estate experts today at 828-553-3391 to get started!