178 Last Chance Road
Sassafrass Ridge is a unique development for a number of reasons. It offers arguably the best long range views in the Cashiers/Highlands area yet is only 15 minutes drive from the ridge top to the crossroads in Cashiers. Water is provided by a regional water utility company removing the biggest concern for most home owners in the mountain, water availability.
This lot was appropriately named Azalea for the abundant flame azaleas present on the lot. This lot also has an amazing grouping of all three rhododendron specimens, laurel, blueberry bushes and the rare pink shell azalea.
The home was named “Camp Chimney” as it is sited on a lot at the base of Chimney Top. Surrounded by national forest and a land conservancy on almost 10 acres, it is serene and private.
Camp Chimney is unique and a wood lover’s delight. With natural lighting from the many windows throughout the home it is light and bright. The ceiling is a work of art due to the many angle and log beams incorporated into the design. The main floor includes a great room with cathedral ceilings and a river rock fireplace. Lingering over that glass of wine in the dining area is easy with such magnificent views. The kitchen is adorned with cherry cabinets, and the master suite is warmed with an additional fireplace. There are three custom designed sinks on the main level and two stain glass panels created by local artisans.
Many of the woods used in the home were cut from the property. Cherry, sourwood, oak, walnut, mountain laurel and maple are found throughout the home.
Mother Nature can be enjoyed best by hiking the number of trails on the property or just enjoying her cool summers from one of several decks. The outdoors fireplace is always a favorite gathering spot and is found in the screened covered deck off the great room.
The wide spiral staircase with its sourwood handrail takes you to the terrace level where another great room is graced by a baby grand player piano. What fun it is to gather round for a sing along. For those wishing a snack the kitchenette is close by. Two more large suites and three full baths provide privacy for large families. Walk out into the garden to enjoy your morning cup. The grounds have self-watering landscaping so your time on the mountain is yours to enjoy.
- MLS Number: 75735
- Acres: 9.1
- garage: 2
- flooring: Tile, Heart-of- Pine Wood
- construction: Stone, Wood Siding
- roof: Wood Shake
- style: Two and half story, Timber frame
5 bedroom, 6 baths, 1 ½ bath
- Each Bedroom is a suite with it’s own private bath and covered deck
- Master on the main with fireplace with fabulous mountain views, bath has Jacuzzi, large shower, double vanities, and lots of natural light
- Upper level: 2 upper master suites/2 baths with private porches & a library sitting area
- Entire home has pine panels adorned with many windows for natural light
- Security System installed throughout with internet access available from wherever you are
- Elevator is installed to access all three floors
- Most Interior doors are walnut from an upstate New York estate
- Cherry wood cabinets
- All wood flooring throughout the home is from river recovered heart-of-pine logs
- 3 river rock fireplaces inside the home-great room, master bedroom, terrace level great room
- Timber beams accent many rooms
- Beautiful Cherry-spiral log steps, various counter tops, kitchen cabinets
- Top of the line kitchen appliances, granite, serving island with stunning cherry top. A favorite spot to gather round with family and friends.
- Large utility Mud Room with wine cooler
- Lutron Lighting System
- Central Vacuum System
- Audio, Speakers and Volume Control in all main rooms and outdoor deck. Each is independent of other rooms.
- Terrace level has walkout decks from bedrooms and great room, 3 full baths
- Kitchenette with area for dining, a wonderful bunk room, a gorgeous play baby grand piano. A selection of over 2000 old and new songs to select from. Your ipad does the selecting…
- 9.1 aces +/-
- Artistically designed accents throughout the exterior!
- Deck areas, 1 screened, 2 covered,1 gorgeous stone outdoor fireplace
- Copper trim and gutters
- Secured by Two private gated communities
- Circular drive with additional parking
- Private Septic - five bedroom
- Separate Floor HVAC Units - 1st floor has April Air dehumidifier built into the air handling system
- Lightning Protection System
- Outdoor wood burning fire place with gas ignition
- Screened in Patio with river rock fireplace for outside dining and entertaining
- Post and beam timber frame
- Three Covered Deck with panoramic views
- Double Carport could easily be enclosed if desired
- Dry crawl space
- Magnificent year round long range vista views over Bald Rock and the Blue Ridge mountains
- Almost 10 acres borders the Nantahala National Forest and a land conservancy. Guarantees privacy
- Elevation: 4000’+
- Additional lot acreage available
- Gated Community
- Hiking trails-walk out your front door to Mother Nature’s wonderland
- Memberships available in two golf courses by acceptance. Beautiful Country Club of Sapphire Valley at the base of Sassafras Ridge
- Area served by 4 airports: Atlanta, Greenville, Asheville and Charlotte..
- Full Home Generator
- Zoned heating and air conditioning
- Lutron “intelligent” lighting system is fabulous through the home. Lights Welcomes you home as you enter the drive.
- Smart security alerts you when you are home or away
- Alarm system
- Wireless high speed internet… fabulous..so important on the mountain
- Wireless phone service…fabulous…so important on the mountain
- Lightning protection
- Private community water